If you are ready for change, ready to update or upgrade your home with a remodel, come to the Corpus Christi Fall Home & Garden Show, Sept. 13-15 and find everything you need!
Check out Structure Builders to get quality work for up to $750 off! They have been providing quality home improvements while creating everlasting memories for their home owners and team members since 1994. They are geared to delivering homeowners with an unbeatable service, product, and warranty for all their home improvements and have specialists in each of the following services: siding, windows, bathroom, kitchen, room additions and patio covers to ensure you get the best outcome. Their estimates are always FREE and under no circumstances is there any pressure to sign. All of their proposals are guaranteed for 30 days from the day you receive it in your email; this allows you to think about your investment before making such an important decision.
When most of us think of Interior Design, we think of new decor, maybe an accent wall, minimalizing or organizing a space, possibly recovering or replacing some furniture. Well it is all of those things, but when you do your research and use resources like your local Home & Garden Show, you can hire a comprehensive firm like our Central Kentucky exhibitor Decorating Den Interiors, and get all that & more!
Visit the Home & Garden Show for a team with:
• Award winning designers
• Kitchen, bathroom and fireplace remodeling
• Custom window treatments
• Furniture, rugs, lighting and accessories for every style and budget
• Custom, Amish-made and top quality cabinetry
The 44th Annual Central Kentucky Home & Garden Show will be at the Lexington Center April 5-7, 2019 and you can find Decorating Den Interiors in booth #1709 along with hundreds of other products and services to help you get your PROJECTS SOLVED! Plus, there is fun for the whole family, with kids activities, birds of prey shows, pet adoptions, a Kentucky Proud section and the BBB Auction!
Orlando’s best Home & Garden Show is back at the Orange County Convention Center and offering FREE Interior Design Consultations, by The Design Diva, Natalie Kight! It is easy to feel intimidated by your interiors or know where to begin, prepare to take advantage of this amazing opportunity in the following ways:
- Bring photos, drawings and/or measurements of your space.
The more you have for us, the more we will be able to give you. It’s hard to imagine a space without some sort of visual, even for a designer. Bring in what you have. Any existing pieces or floor plans you want to work with. It’s hard sometimes – but any samples of existing colors within your space that will not be removed during the updating process are extremely helpful with selecting new colors for a space.
2. Have a budget in mind.
This is a big one. Although budget plays an extremely important role in decision making, clients rarely figure that part out first – but they should! Having a budget in mind not only gives your designer a ‘stopping point,’ but ALSO helps their creativity flow. Anyone can create a gorgeous space with $2M dollars in their pocket, but if you give your designer a realistic budget you can actually work with, you’re more likely to get a design you can achieve.
3. Take the advice given.
We get it – We haven’t seen your space and don’t quite know your colors. But you came to us for help – so take it! The most important part about receiving a free design consultation is actually taking the advice that is given. Too often, clients will resist the change they were looking for in the first place. Not every decision is going to be comfortable, some will take some getting used to. Design affects the way we live our everyday lives. Change your home’s design, and change yours.
Come on down to the show you know, The 9th Annual Orlando Fall Home & Garden Show, August 10-12 at the Orange County Convention Center to be inspired by amazing interiors and landscape seminars, plus tour over ten tiny homes and learn how to pare down and live a more simple, ‘tiny’ life! And this show is for the whole family, there are kids activities going on all weekend from cooking classes and character meet & greets to art workshops and author readings of great kid’s books; and more! You don’t want to miss this!
1. Solar power is the most abundant energy source on Earth.
Every hour, more solar energy hits the earth than all of humanity needs for an entire year. Solar panels harness this clean energy source by using photovoltaic cells.
2. You can use solar power to run your entire home.
It’s a cheaper, safer, and green solution to running air conditioners, hot water heaters, appliances, etc.
3. Solar power has a long history
The potential to harness solar power was first discovered in 1839 (a year after the first coal fired power plant was built) by Alexandre Edmond Becquererl. He found how to create an electrical current in a conductor that was hit by the sun rays, in other words, the photovoltaic effect. The creation of modern silicon photovoltaic cells was completed in 1954 at Bell Labs. Since then, the efficiency has increased more than four times, while the price has decreased significantly!
4. Solar is the world’s most popular form of new electricity generation
Due to decreased cost and increased efficiency, solar has quickly become the preferred new electricity generator. More than 73 gigawatts of new solar power was installed in 2016!
5. Solar power produces no pollution
Apart from the pollution given off during manufacturing, solar power is one of the cleanest, most sustainable, and most renewable resources in the world. However, not all panels are created equal. SunPower panels are the only solar panels to have achieved a Cradle to Cradle certification, meaning the panels are manufactured in the most sustainable, ethical way possible.
6. Solar power improves world health
The burning of fossil fuels creates toxic pollution, which has an impact on global health. Pollution affects as many people as HIV or malaria, and has serious consequences on children, older adults, and all living plants and animals. Solar power reduces the amount of fossil fuels used, meaning less pollution is going into the air, and into our lungs.
7. Solar panels can increase your home value
Initial studies have shown solar panels can increase your home value an average of $20,000, a higher payback percentage than a kitchen remodel.
8. Solar can help lower electric bills
Depending on where you live in Texas, you may be able to take advantage of net metering (your system is hooked up to the electric grid and you sell back excess energy you produce). If you decide to finance, there is a possibility your monthly loan payment will be less than your average electric bill. Solar can help you save money from day one!
9. Solar systems come with a warranty
Most solar systems come with a warranty. The warranty we offer at SunPower by Freedom Solar is a 25 year warranty on product (guarantees the quality of the system), 25 year warranty on service (repair or replace defective panels) and 25 year warranty on power (guarantees highest power production).
10. You don’t have to buy solar panels outright
There are multiple ways to afford solar, you don’t have to pay cash to reap the benefits. Low interest loans are available to solar system owners, as well as other financing options.
By: Freedom Solar
Contact them for the latest info!
How to break down a design scheme for your home
We live in a time of convenience, where next day shipping, lightning fast search engines and social media are the norm. That means you can find inspiration in less than a second with a few keywords. This leads to tons of ideas, pinning and inspiration for home décor. We even have hashtags that make it that much easier for you to search for the latest trends in kitchens, bathrooms and living spaces.
But, with all that inspo and options, there inevitably comes, indecision. With our screens filled with amazing work from designers, we want to copy and paste it into our own homes. But unfortunately, that isn’t how it works. What looks and feels right in one space, cannot always be transferred to another. The question is, how can you take that décor from your dream space and bring it into your actual space?
There are three main parts of decorative scheme that can help you get there.
- Color (just kidding, it is important but it isn’t number one) It’s actually Texture:
- So, what does that actually mean? Be aware of all the different textures around you, right now. From the floor, to the chair to the table. All of these different textures add something different to your space. A wood floor can visually add warmth to a room or a soft accent pillow can add comfort. A space that has little texture, will lack dimension and interest.
- Try a textured natural linen table runner or two-toned metal lighting accents to bring more visual interest to a room.
- This is the best way to stay within a scheme that you like, from rustic to transitional to ultra modern. Your furniture choices can really define the overall look of a space. Mid-century modern pieces are iconic because of their form. Placing them in a room will immediately change the whole feel.
- Don’t be afraid of patterns. Looking at small samples, don’t always do the designs justice. Remember to always try to bring bigger samples into the actual room before using it in something like a curtain or a sofa.
- Last but not least, Color
- Deciding on the right color scheme is essential to setting the right tone and mood for a space. I have my clients pick out at least 3 colors that they would like to incorporate into their space. From these colors, we build on what might compliment or contrast with them.
- The color scheme seems to fall into place once the client has decided on textures and shapes for their space.
Those are the basics of a design scheme. A good interior designer will always talk through these points with you and guide you through the whole design process. It never hurts to get a head start on designing your dream space.
What is ‘ethical design’ really?
Well, I say it is an art form of design that goes far deeper than the surface. As a designer, I remember that moment in my career when I questioned whether or not my work really mattered. How does it leave a positive impact on the world? How can I use my work to help people? How do I “create with purpose?”.
A few short months after leaving ABC’s “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition“, I found myself in a van on a red dirt road in Ghana, West Africa. Pencil in hand, volunteering with my team; in a 3 day journey to Kumasi, we drew an art therapy center for children who had been rescued from trafficking. We saw firsthand how creativity can empower lives and awaken souls.
The art center was such a success another non-profit asked us to design one for girls who had been rescued from sex trafficking in Cambodia. A year later, I found myself in the jungles of Southeast Asia. Renovating a tiny boat outside of Battambang, the art center offers just enough space to transform bruised souls, inspiring confidence and worthiness through a crayon.
Ethical design is a choice, and one we all have the power to make. Whether you travel overseas to create, or you’re right here spreading your gift in the industry, you have the power to change lives through design!
After being the Production Designer for several television shows, I found myself on FYI’s “Tiny House Nation”. Cramming a dining table, stairwell and pantry into 90 SF on paper, I was intrigued, challenged, and for the first time, drawing a house I could see myself living in.
Two years later, and I just moved into my own tiny home, with my new husband and an 80 lb lab puppy. It’s a lifestyle you may or may not choose for yourself, but I’m excited to share honestly how it’s been. “The good, the bad, and the ugly,” as ‘they’ say…
With our local “Community First! Village” and tiny home initiatives around the country spreading like wildflowers, I’m excited to make you a believer. My hope is to challenge you to see this tiny home ‘trend’ as another way to foster ethical design choices for our community and nation.
If you’re a skeptic of tiny homes, come sit on the front row of my seminars at the Austin Home & Garden Show, Jan 13 & 14 at the Palmer Events Center. Click here for appearance schedule!
Can’t wait to see y’all there!
Imagine a slip-resistant surface that not only enhances the look of your playground, splash pad, pool deck, patio, entrance or walkway but also provides comfort, resilience and style!
Rubaroc® combines proprietary high tech polymer resins with high quality colorfast rubber granules. It is poured-in-place then hand troweled to create a beautiful, resilient, non-skid surface that is virtually indestructible.
Originally innovated as poured-in-place Rubber Safety Surfacing for swimming pool decks, Rubaroc® quickly grew its applications and today you will find Rubaroc® Rubber Safety Surfaces being used in a wide variety of applications from water parks, playgrounds, schools, childcare facilities, golf clubs and hotels, private and public housing associations and so much more.
Rubaroc is skid-resistant when wet, much like your bath mat, which makes rubber surfacing perfect for wet deck applications. The surface is comfortable to walk on in bare feet, even on the hottest summer day.
Rubaroc is professionally installed by Rubaroc Professionals over your new or existing surface. When finished, it expands and contracts to accommodate temperature changes and ground movement. Rubaroc bonds directly to any solid substrate material including concrete, asphalt, epoxy stone, brick, wood, steel, tarmac, chipboard, and aluminum.
Find solutions to your home projects like this one and many more at the Show Technology Home & Garden Shows across the nation! Click Here For Show Schedule
What are factors that I should consider in choosing an artificial grass for my garden?
With many environmental and economic concerns in mind, artificial grass is becoming an increasingly popular solution for both commercial and residential properties alike. However, it is important to consider several factors when choosing the right artificial grass to create the garden of your dreams. Here are some important factors you should consider:
1. Your budget – If you are going to make an investment into artificial turf for your garden you want to make sure you are staying within your own spending comfort level. Make sure and create a reasonable range of prices to help stick to your budget.
2. Durability and the warranty provided – Always ask about the durability of the grass you are researching and how long the warranty is to make sure you get the most bang for your grass buck.
3. How you use your garden – Are you going to play a game of soccer on your grass or have a relaxing summer picnic? How your garden is going to be used is crucial to what type of grass you choose.
4. Who uses your garden – Do you have young children or pets? If so, you should take that into consideration when choosing your grass.
5. How you want it to look – You should love the way your new grass looks and it should add to the overall aesthetics of your residence. Choosing samples of grass can help you decide what you want before buying.
To learn more about this and get all your Home & Garden #projectssolved, come to the San Antonio Fall Home & Garden Show Sept. 29-Oct. 1st at the Alamodome. This article was provided by Hill Horticulture who will be there to consult on turfgrass and many other landscaping options!
Americans spend up to 70% of their summer electricity bills on air conditioning. All that juice adds up to $11 billion a year, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. That’s more than the yearly operating budget of Oklahoma — and about a dozen other states.
Air conditioning keeps us comfortable, but it also creates a lot of waste and costs a lot of money. Sure, you could shut off your A/C altogether, if you don’t mind being ridiculously (and dangerously) hot. Like most problems, the best solution is somewhere in the middle.
Here are a few expert tips for dialing back the A/C, saving cash and staying cool this summer.
UP YOUR AIRFLOW
The breeze from an ENERGY STAR® rated ceiling fan can make you feel up to 10°F cooler while adding less than $5 to your electricity bill annually. If you turned down your thermostat 10°F to get the same effect, you’d be spending hundreds of dollars more over the course of the summer.
USE YOUR THERMOSTAT WISELY
Does your setpoint sit at 72°F all summer? Raise it a few degrees and speed up your ceiling fan at the same time. You’ll save up to 5% on your cooling costs for each degree you raise your thermostat and feel just as comfortable thanks to those breezes.
AUTOMATE YOUR COMFORT
Prefer to let technology do the work? Seek out smart home products, such as the Nest Learning Thermostat or Big Ass Solutions’ own Haiku connected ceiling fans. These cutting-edge devices have built-in sensors that track the temperature. You can also schedule them to shut off when you’re not around. And after an initial setup, you’ll never have to lift a finger again.
LET MOTHER NATURE HELP
Turn off the A/C when the temperature outside dips and open windows on parallel walls to create a cross breeze. If it’s hot during the day but cool at night, crack the windows while you sleep, then shut them in the morning to lock in cool air.
EMBRACE THE SHADE
Much of the heat in your home is the result of sunlight coming in through the windows. Plant bushes and trees or install awnings, shades or shutters to keep unwanted heat where it belongs: outside.
DON’T ADD TO THE HEAT
Everything that draws electricity generates heat. Energy-efficient indoor appliances create less heat, but some appliances, such as ovens, produce heat by design. Consider using those appliances less this summer. (As if you needed another reason to grill out…)
GIVE YOUR A/C SOME TLC
Regular maintenance will keep your A/C unit running at peak efficiency. Change your air filter every three months, and get your system inspected by certified HVAC technicians every year, especially if it’s more than 10 years old. If you do have an older system, don’t just Frankenstein it back together every time it breaks. Installing a new, energy-efficient system will save money in the long run through reduced repair costs and lower energy bills.
AND! BIG ASS SERVICES CAN HELP
Want to implement the above tips? Big Ass Services can help with most of them.
Stop by the Central KY Home & Garden Show THIS WEEKEND, March 31- April 2 at the Lexington Conv. Center and talk with Big Ass Fans in more detail about how they can save you money!
The service arm of Lexington-based Big Ass Solutions offers installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair for Big Ass Fans, Big Ass Lights, HVAC systems, smart-home products and plumbing.
The Smart Shoppers Guide to Adding an Outdoor Entertainment Area -7 Tips to Bank on!
1. Dream Big, but then carefully consider your budget. Looking through magazines and planning or idea books is an awesome way to get ideas for your new space. One downside can be dreaming way beyond what is realistic for your budget. A quality product is achievable on any size budget.. The baseline for your consideration is what can you comfortably afford to spend? Having a plan before you begin is the best way to insure you love the end product.
2. Features and accessories can make a plain space spectacular! Design elements can easily be incorporated into your project without breaking your wallet. Wherever possible combine features to maximize efficiency space and time. For example, if you have a retaining wall around your fire pit, add a bench for seating. Want an outdoor kitchen and bar? Do both at the same time best utilizing your space and combining counter space. Water elements can be as simple as adding a bubbling fountain in your landscaping, a pond-less waterfall in a flower garden or a pond.
3. Decide on the scope of your project. How big does your paver patio need to be? Do you want steps and coordinating sidewalks? What about adding walls around existing landscaping? Are you going to add sod to give an immediate “finished” appearance? Determining your details on the front end saves time, money, and frustration on the back end. In most cases, it’s much easier to buy the materials and do the work in a sequential order rather than back tracking and adding to what was already completed. This of course is more time efficient which in turn keeps you to your budget.
4. Realistic time expectations go along with the scope of your project. This one may save more frustration than money, but is important to address. Quality work takes time. The company you choose should have an estimate of the time it will take his crew to complete your job which is then figured into your cost. Remember though, that even the best contractor is not in charge of the weather. One day of rain usually costs two days of work-the day it rains and then a day for the ground to dry.
5. Materials matter. The adage “you get what you pay for” certainly applies in terms of landscape and hardscape companies. Fortunately, for you as a consumer, there are multiple options available. There is sure to be an option in your price range! Quality Landscaping is able to suggest options based on your dreams and budget. Due diligence in selecting the best materials for your space and project will save you future headaches and money.
6. Choosing a reliable and reputable landscape company is your best defense against spending too much money. Select a landscaping company with a great reputation in the community and a history of quality work. Select a company that can do all aspects of your job such as irrigation, landscaping, and hardscaping. Ask if the company you are considering has a website with a portfolio, literature with pictures, written testimonials from customers? Ask if there is a cost involved in obtaining a quote. A reputable contractor will be happy to break down the pricing so that you know exactly what you will be paying for before you sign a contract. Another thing to look for is industry credentials. What companies do they represent? Being an “authorized dealer” is a difficult status to obtain which means the company is dedicated to it’s craft
7. If you are really interested in saving money, sooner is better than later! Take advantage of seasonal specials-getting discounts for early booking or bundling services. Ask if there are show specials and if yes, be prepared to take advantage of them. Getting on the schedule early means you have a great chance of enjoying your outdoor space while marshmallows can still be roasted and wine glasses toasted!
These awesome tips are provided by Quality Landscaping, LLC of Lexington Kentucky! Stop by their booth at the Home & Garden Show March 31-April 2 at the Lexington Center to learn more!