Indoor Air Quality & Your Health

Indoor air pollution has been described by the EPA and Congress as America’s number one environmental health problem and indoor air pollution can be four to five times worse than outdoor air. The Department of Consumer Affairs states that children and the elderly are the ones most affected by polluted indoor air. One of the greatest contributors to poor indoor air quality is mold spores.
We spend about 90% of our time indoors and these mold spores are inhaled by us and our children. Mold spores and other indoor pollutants can and do cause allergies. The American College of Allergists state that 50% of all illnesses are caused by polluted indoor air. They state that 10 to 12 million people in the US suffer from asthma and that asthma is the single largest cause of hospital visits by children.
If you have allergy symptoms year-round — or if they get worse in damp weather — you may be allergic to mold. While people with pollen allergies tend to have seasonal symptoms, mold allergies can flare all year long. Indoor mold can be a problem in winter months when we tend to tighten up our homes which increases humidity levels. Mold will grow in your house where there is enough moisture, whether it’s on a basement wall, in your crawl space, a damp carpet, or behind the bathroom tile.
You may not even realize the mold is there — but if you’re sensitive you’ll react with coughing, wheezing, stuffy nose, or irritated eyes.
“Very often, people don’t really know what the problem is,” says John Martyny, PhD, an industrial hygienist with National Jewish Health Center in Denver. “They have an allergic reaction, lots of sinus drainage, lots of upper respiratory problems, and it doesn’t last for just a month or two. This goes on 12 months a year. It is not a minimal problem — it can really change your life.”
It may be hard to get a mold allergy correctly diagnosed. “Very often, the root of the problem isn’t identified correctly,” Martyny says. “People have these symptoms, but they don’t realize they have a moisture and mold problem at home. If you get rid of the allergens — the mold — people get better, and they get better pretty fast.”
Mold infiltration can be a difficult and destructive problem. Once it takes hold, its elimination can be uncertain and costly using conventional techniques.
Green Home Solutions gives home and property owners an effective, long-lasting, and environmentally sound solution.
Our process employs a proprietary formulation of enzymes scientifically engineered to shut down mold. Our EPA registered formula, applied in mist form, has been verified to be safe for humans, pets and plants, and is no more “destructive” than a simple mist of water. Most other mold treatments on the market today use harsh chemicals that actually rely on their toxicity to have any effect at all.
The non-volatile, preventative nature of a Green Home Solutions Treatment will interact with mold spores allowing the enzymes to penetrate deeper and remain effective longer.
Our treatment eliminates the need for costly and time consuming demolition. Moreover, this is truly a non-distributive process since we don’t require the removal of furniture, carpeting or personal items.
Stop by the Green Home Solutions booth at the Central KY Home & Garden Show THIS WEEKEND to learn more!