Homes are designed and built by people who don’t usually live in them. Once you move into your dream home, you may begin to identify design elements that are cosmetically pleasing but really don’t serve sensible living. I see this in kitchens, bathrooms and pantry’s, where builders don’t consider full utilization of cabinet space. We find many cabinets have hidden areas, half shelves and space that is wasted. In these case we offer a great problem solving product call Glide-Out Shelves.
Glide out or pull outs, are a great way to get more use out of existing space without having to completely remodel your kitchen or bath. Using the latest technology, glide out shelves are custom fit to your existing shelf thus increasing the space, and adding full extension for optimal ease and organization. Plus glide out shelves make it easy to find pots, pans and can goods lost to the dark recesses of the cabinet, by allowing you to extend the entire shelf into the sunlight!
Now not all glide outs are made equal and this is where you, as the consumer, must be diligent. You can get cheaper quality glide outs, for a cheaper price, but believe me you will regret it. Aluminum rails and mounts just don’t hold the weight that steel ones will. Plus the construction and materials used in the box itself are vital to smooth glide and long term use. So consider these issues when choosing the glide out company for your self.
1. What material is used in the box or drawer itself? Our line uses top quality 1/4 inch, 9 ply Baltic birch, on all five sides. This means that all four sides and the bottom of the drawer or box are all made of the same material.
2. How is the box constructed? Top quality glide outs will be made with dove tail construction and pressurized. Cheaper products are nailed together or glued and can not stand the test of time in a well used kitchen.
3. What are the rails and mounts made of? Ours are made of American made steel not aluminum or cheap steel. The cheaper the rails and months the less they can hold and shorter life expectancy they have.
4. How much weight can the drawers hold full extended? Top of the live products like ours can hold 100 lbs and offer 100%, full extension glide out of the drawer. Lesser products will only glide out 3/4 of way and can’t hold the really heavy stuff.
5. Who is installing them and what is the guarantee? Our installers have been trained by the best and their work is top notch. We offer a life time guaranteed on product and installation. This means if for any reason they fail, any reason other than abuse, we fix them for free. Most cheaper brands offer 90 days.
6. Last but not least, where is your product made? We are a small family owned business and the boxes/drawers are made right here in Austin. We are not a chain or live out of state. When you talk you us, you are talking to the owners and our reputation depends upon your satisfaction.
Remember glide outs don’t have to be expensive we offer the highest quality product for 1/2 the cost of the other big name brands. There is no need to pay more when you can save money and get what you want.
It pays to be diligent and get referrals from clients as well. This is the only way you are assured that you are are dealing with reputable and reliable people. And we have many referrals from your friends and neighbors. Just ask!
Stop by and see the helpful folks of Custom Living of Austin to learn more about solving the problems in your home January 13-15 at the Austin Convention Center at the Austin Home & Garden Show!