|By: Julie Lewis of Housewarmings – Lexington, KY|
1. Most of us can’t wait to get home from a day at work and get outside! The most used outdoor spaces typically have easy access from inside your home. Outdoor Rooms off a Living Space or Kitchen typically get the most use.
2. Once we get outside most of us want a little serenity and privacy! Use landscaping to screen your Outdoor Room. If Landscaping is not an option Potted Plants and Outdoor Drapery can help with privacy, as well.
3. Just as it does inside, FIRE draws people together. Add an Outdoor Firepit or Outdoor Fireplace. There are sizes and designs for everyone – from Wood Burning to Propane or Natural Gas. Be sure to check your Local Building codes to Verify Fire-Safety and Placement.
4. Everyone loves a good view! Orient your furniture to maximize your best view or create a focal point. If you don’t have the greatest view be creative – highlight a Fire Feature or a Fountain; if you have a ceiling add a dramatic Light Fixture or Fan.
5. Remember you’re not “roughing-it! Your Outdoor Furniture should have all the comforts of being Indoors. Today’s outdoor cushions almost rival their indoor counterparts – look for deep cushions and durable outdoor rated fabrics, add lots of decorative pillows, even an outdoor throw.
6. If your space is small remember some Furniture Pieces can do double duty – Dining Chairs can also serve as Lounge Chairs; Benches and Ottomans can also serve as additional seating and storage.
7. Personalize your space! Don’t forget about Outdoor Accessories – there are so many to choose from! Consider a beautiful Outdoor Rug to add comfort and help define your space. Don’t forget Outdoor Lamps and Candles with Hurricanes and Lantern, too. Add what makes you happy!
8. If you’re an avid or weekend Griller be sure to consider the location of your Grill or Outdoor Kitchen. Locate your cooking surface where the smoke will be less intrusive to your Living Space – but close enough to your Indoor Kitchen for quick access.
9. Don’t forget entertainment! Add an Outdoor TV or Sound System. A wireless outdoor Wi-Fi antenna can provide an extra boost so you can stay connected.
10. If the heats got your down – consider adding some sort of sun screen. There are many things to choose from depending on your space; from Pergolas to Retractable Awnings, even Large Room Size Cantilevered Umbrellas.
To learn more come to the Central Kentucky Home & Garden Show, April 1-3, and see the seminars by Housewarmings or visit their booth!